Friday, November 13, 2009

Ashes of Time - Some Selections from the Original Soundtrack



Duriandave (from the wonderful Soft Film: Vintage Chinese Cinema Blog) has been kind enough to point me in the right direction regarding putting up listenable embedded music. Very cool. Very easy. Thanks very much.



I thought for the first time I would choose the first five pieces from one of my very favorite films, Ashes of Time. I understand that the new version has new music. Call me crazy but I loved the music from the original, it's melancholy languor fits so beautifully. It was composed by Frankie Chan, who many of us were introduced to as an actor in a number of action films; so it was amazing to later discover that he has a huge number of credits for film scores. Wong Kar-wai also used him in Chungking Express and Fallen Angels.

For almost any other soundtrack I will have no idea what the song titles are, but the Ashes of Time soundtrack has them in English. I have the first five selections here. The rest to follow soon.

POST EDITED 01/15/2010 - Here are all 15 tracks in the Ashes of Time original soundtrack



9 comments:

duriandave said...

Oooh... thanks for sharing!

Listening to these songs again makes me realize that I love the original music just as much as I love the film. The new score was definitely the biggest problem I had with Ashes of Time Redux. Honestly, getting Yo-Yo Ma to recreate the score seems like a marketing decision that in the end didn't pay off.

Marc said...

Actually some of this music is still in the re-edited film, like the first song you posted. Personally I love the new score. The old one too.

duriandave said...

Yeah, that's right. Some of the old score (I can't remember how much) has been kept and rearranged for the new version.

Brian said...

I haven't actually seen the new version yet. I keep reminding myself to buy the dvd (assuming its out?) but keep forgetting.

Steve said...

It's out on DVD in the US, though there is a UK Blu-ray.

eliza bennet said...

The new version was a dissapointment as far as I'm concerned (but I got to watch it on big screen which helped to ease the frustration). I was expecting more of a cleaned up print than the blatant changes that made the film more viewer friendly.

I love the old score and very glad that I'm not the only one who prefers it to the new one.

Simon Booth said...

The music in redux is basically the same but re-recorded with actual musicians. The original synth score always sounded more like a demo track than a finished product, to me. I think the new version sounds better - my guess is that if they'd had the money, they'd have done it this way the first time.

Anonymous said...

Frankie Chan has so many soundtrack-credits because he did many scores for the shaw brothers and other movies in the 70s with stock music and no new composed music.

He used very often Italian soundtrackmusic of Ennio Morricone (Music from "Death rides a horse", the album "Sound Dimension" (Killer Snakes Theme).....) and others (Trovaioli, Bruno Nicolai, Gianni Ferrio "La Poliziotta" in "Disciples of Shaolin", "Taxi Driver".....).

Ernest said...

Is the 1st song "Prelude - A Lonely Heart" in the new redux version also?