Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Wicked Witch is Dead!

After listening to Obama's inauguration speech today, I went outside in the chilling cold and just stood there taking in the world around me. It felt fresh and hopeful again and it looked like everyone had a bounce in their step. The dismal days of Bush are over. May we never see his like again. The age of Obama is here. Go Obama!

Here are some Shaw Brothers stills that I came across in a book that a friend brought back from Korea for me. It seems to be a publicity book from Celestial and they focus on about 25 martial arts films. I have no idea what they are saying but there were some nice stills within. I added a few more from two other sources and so have around 5 pages of stills. I have to get back to some Shaw Brother viewings soon.

Stills

7 comments:

Glenn, kenixfan said...

Those stills are cool. Thank you.

I am reminded of the rude shock upon watching Golden Swallow for the first time. It quickly went from a Cheng Pei-Pei starring film to a Chang Cheh-directed bloodbath. I liked it but it was certainly different than what I expected upon opening the DVD and didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the Cheng Pei-Pei films I was marathoning my way through.

Brian said...

Ya - Cheng Pei-pei apparently wasn't too happy either and has nothing nice to say about Chang Cheh and I don't believe she ever worked with him again.

Btw - does anyone know who the two well-proportioned actresses are in the first picture on top of the car?

Jason said...

Thanks for the 36th Chamber scans, Brian! Was, is, and will always be my favorite martial arts film, from repeated television viewings of the pan-and-scan, dubbed version on Black Belt Theater as a kid, to the bootleg VHS version I bought in DC, to Celestial Pictures' remastered and restored version on the big screen at the Philly Film Fest a few years ago. A classic among classics.

YTSL said...

Yo Jason --

Weird, I believe I was at the same screening of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin -- at the International House of Philadelphia, right? ;b

Jason said...

Wow, what a small world indeed! That was the same fest where I saw Miike's Graveyard of Honor, one of my very favorites from Miike-san.

YTSL said...

Yo again Jason --

Even weirder... I watched "Graveyard of Honor" there and then too!!! :O :D

Jason said...

Spooky...!