Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Few More Lobby Cards


Here are 8 lobby cards of one of the truly influential films of the 1990's - Raped by an Angel 3: Sexual Fantasy of the Chief Executive starring Alex Fong, Angie Cheung and one of my favorites Pinky Cheung. They just don't make them like this any more in Hong Kong! And I expect most people are grateful for that but I always had a perverse softside for some of these trashy films that had no cinematic redeeming factors what so ever. Other than Pinky and Angie of course. The films didn't even have any nudity as far as I recall which made them all kind of a tease. The iconic shot of Pinky drenched in blood with knife in hand still moves me in strange unexplainable ways. I am only sorry that I don't have lobby cards for Raped by an Angel 1, 2, 4 and 5.
Towards the end of the 90's as the HK film scene began its downward trajectory, these were the kind of films that the last Chinese theater, The Music Palace, showed constantly. You would be in there with smoke curling around you and the smell of Chinese food everywhere watching this stuff on the screen with about ten other people - double features - and half the people were there just to get into the air conditioning or out of the cold. One guy kept his myriad of cats with him and pretty much lived there. Every now and then they would show an old Jackie Chan or Chow Yun Fat film which was always a thrill. I miss the Music Palace - all part of the blanding of America.

Lobby Cards

No comments: