Thursday, April 12, 2007

Link to Asian Film Review Blog - Lunapark6


I assume this blog has been around for a while considering the number of reviews, but I just came across it tonight. I like his selection of films - primarily Korean and Japanese - and though I often don't agree with his ratings - only a 7 for Nana while giving the tedious Daespo Naughty Girls a 7.5! - but you can see where he is coming from. Also, the fact that two of his favorite actresses are Bae Doo-na (and praising the highly underrated Saving My Hubby) and Lee Na-young (Please Teach Me English) are two of mine gives credence to his opinions! The blog is Lunapark6 and can be found here. Take a few hours and give his reviews a look. He covers a number of films that get very little internet presence.

I came across the site when I was looking for information on a Japanese film I just watched called Arch Angels. It was such a peculiar perplexing candy colored confection of surreal imagery, live anime action and pop Manga quirkiness that I was curious what others thought of it. It's a bit slow getting started but by the end it is a lot of fun even though it was probably made for teenagers. But a film that has three female high school super heroes who chow down on Ramen noodles and chocolate is hard to resist. And all the villains are gaijin. And there is a super dog as well that narrates the story. I thought I would take the lazy way out from having to write a review and just post a link to his since I agree with him. I should do this more often - sure saves a lot of time!

3 comments:

luna6 said...

Hey,
The name of the website is actually Lunapark6 - not Luna Park. But thanks for the nice writeup, I did just come across your site as well and really like what I have seen. In particular Exte looks great and I can't wait to see that in the future. Also I was surprised to read you made it through Apt / Arang / Cinderella :) Very brave of you. I saw one of those (can't remember which one) and told myself no more horror movies for at least a year - unless it has a special actor/actress/director involved in it. Cheers, I got your site bookmarked....
luna6

Brian said...

I don't know why but I continue to watch Korean horror films even though I am not really at heart a horror fan - I usually enjoy them on some level for their nice production values and the female actresses - but its been a while since one actually scared me. Exte is pretty good I thought - again not really scary as much as fun and strange. It's just hard to scare people any more.

I am curious how you saw Arch Angels - in a theater - on DVD - I came across a screener myself.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,
I was lucky enough to see that one in the Netherlands of all places while on vacation. It was playing at an Asian Film Festival there and I decided to check it out. glad I did ...